Follow The Build: The X26 and X26c, Part 2

IMG 1270

Like any resin kit, there is a lot of flash to be cleaned off of the sprues from molding. The instructions suggest doing all of the flash cleanup at once, but I deferred, doing only what I immediately needed. With seven kits in progress concurrently, I figured this would reduce the chance of losing parts!

IMG 1269

For starters, I cleaned up all of the bodies, the frames, and the bolsters. The insides of the bodies have square "pegs" that need to be cleaned off. These are from the molding process. These aren't mentioned in the directions, and it is not flash, but the frame/floor won't fit in with these in place. I used a flat Xacto blade to scrape them off.

IMG 1322

Once the floors have been test fit into the bodies and removed, the bolsters are added. I used Kadee #232 draft gear boxes and lids. After gluing the lid to the frame, I used a 1/16" bit to drill through the bolster as well as the hole for the coupler screw. I installed a Kadee #58 coupler with a 2-56 1/4" screw.

The trucks are Tichy Train Group #3012 Andrews, recommended by the PRR Pro group. They come in three pieces and are "snap together", but I found real quickly that they also "blow apart"! So I secured them with AC and that worked fine. I tossed the plastic wheels that came with them as I plan to use metal wheel sets. I applied the truck with a 2-56 3/8" screw. Pre-tapping is not required as the resin is soft enough to allow you to screw directly into it. After all couplers and trucks have been installed, remove them. They will re-attach later much easier with greatly reduced chance of damaging the details of the finished model.

The rooves of the X26c's are molded as part of the body. However, the roof of the X26 has an overhang. Being a one-piece body casting, the top of the body is left flat and a separate roof casting is attached.

IMG 1315

The X26 roof requires the addition of riveted fascia strips. After gluing one to my fingers several times, I found it easier to leave them longer than needed and letting them "run wild" off the car. Once dry, I cut off the excess.

In the next installment we'll be adding grab irons -- one of my favorite tasks... not!

Rate this blog entry:
Follow The Build: Scratchbuilt Crossing, Part 3
Follow The Build: Scratchbuilt Crossing, Part 2

Related Posts