Mount Vernon Shops has announced a new set of decals to kick off the modeling season... the PRR X26 box car in Circle Keystone.
Following WWI, the USRA distributed its standard railroad car types throughout the railroads of the USA after de-nationalizing the railroads. Among these designs was a 50-ton single-sheathed 40’ boxcar. The PRR was the largest single recipient of this type, receiving nearly 40% of the fleet, roughly 9,400 total cars. Starting in the 1930’s these cars started to receive upgrades, including new roofs and doors and later most were also upgraded to AB brakes. In 1945 the PRR commenced a rebuild program of the X26’s into steel-sided variants, X26c’s. Nearly one third of the entire X26 fleet was rebuilt by the conclusion of the program.
The X26 boxcars in the Circle Keystone scheme lasted into Penn Central, with some soldiering on into Conrail although in restricted service. The roster peaked in 1930 with 9,394 cars, by 1950 the roster dropped to 5,909 and in 1953 it had declined to 953 cars.
Seven of the X26 were equipped for auto engines loading for the International Harvester Company. The appropriate “Return To” stencil and door marking for “Engines” has been included. For the specific car numbers, please refer to the Official Railway Equipment Register (ORER). The “Return To” stenciling was applied to the left side of the car above the PEN of the roadname.
This sheet includes enough data for 4 X26 cars. There are 4 pre-arranged and accurate car numbers, with provisions for making different additional numbers. See the lettering diagram for proper placement. There are six different reweigh/repack dates cover locations across the PRR system.
The X26 in all of its correct roof/door/ladder configurations has been produced in resin by Funaro & Camerlengo (F&C). Additionally, Tichy has produced a generic USRA 50-ton boxcar kit in plastic.