Built in April 1951, the Pennsylvania Railroad's single class FD2 flatcar was the largest freight car in the world. Although it never bore the name officially, it was known universally as the 'Queen Mary'.
Use of such a giant freightcar was to haul heavy power generating equipment; specifically fully assembled turbo-generators from the General Electric/Westinghouse. The FD2 transported these generators from manufacturing facilities to power plants across the US and Canada. Most manufacturers of such heavy equipment in the United States at that time resided on Pennsy tracks in Pittsburgh, PA. and the railroad intended to capture such lucrative traffic.
After the creation of the Penn Central; The FD2 'Queen Mary' was repainted in green and renumbered to 766196. Conrail inherited the car where it was active for some years. It was taken out of service in 1996 and presented to the Railroad City Museum in Altoona, Pennsylvania where it is on display.
The trucks for this car were taken from the PRR T1 loco tenders and are an important feature of this car. We strongly suggest using the Shapeways 3D printed trucks to run this car. However, we can supply other versions of these trucks in the car kit, either cast sides of the trucks with an etched steel attachments, or etched stainless steel trucks.
Shapeways trucks can be found here.
The N Scale Kits FD2 car has a lead free cast pewter chassis and brake details with etched walkways .
Recommended trucks are Microtrains® 1036 Body mount couplers should be used. Decals are available and are included with the kit. Additional Details are included in the Instruction Sheet.