Edited by This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Overview

The Milroy Secondary began life as the Mifflin and Centre County Railroad (M&CC), incorporated on April 2, 1860. The Pennsylvania Railroad assisted in the construction of the first seven miles of the line, to Reedsville, which was completed by May 1, 1865. The M&CC then initiated a 999 year lease with the PRR to operate the line. By January 6, 1868, the line reached Milroy.

In 1896, the M&CC merged with the nearby Sunbury & Lewistown Railway Company. The PRR executed a new 79 year operating lease on October 1, 1896. Several minor reorgs occured, culminating in the line being merged into the Pennsylvania Railroad as of April 1, 1902.

Having spent most of its life operating as part of the PRR's Lewistown Division, the newly absorbed line was detached for operating purposes from the Pennsylvania Railroad Grand Division and became part of the Philadelphia and Erie Grand Division.

No later than 1911, the line was part of the Sunbury Division. Sometime before September 25, 1927, the line was transferred to the Middle Division. 

See: Milroy Secondary Divisional Heritage.

The Kishacoquillas Valley R. R. operated passenger trains over the branch under an operating agreement through 1941. When passenger traffic was discontinued, the branch was redesignated a secondary, which changed the rules under which it operated.

Contributing

The author will happily accept donations to this site -- images (jpg or gif), documents (pdf), etc. -- or loan of originals for scanning. Full credit will be given to the donor.

This site will only link to professional web sites dedicated to the subject matter, with an appropriate domain name. We will not link to "hosted sites" (like personal sites on ISP's) as they tend to be "here today and gone tomorrow". We would encourage any such site operator to contribute their content to this effort with full attribution.

Maps

Track Chart: Central Division, Sunbury Division: Selinsgrove to Lewistown, Milroy Branch, 1919

1927 Division Accounting Map - Middle Division

1941 Division Accounting Map - Middle Division

Misc. Documents

Photographs

Please reference photo links within each section of the line (below).

Suggested Reading

Fagley, Paul T., Memories of Kishocoquillas Park, Mifflin County Historical Society.

Fisher, Forest K., Images of America - Mifflin County, Arcadia Publishing.

Fisher, Forest K., Mifflin County Then & Now, Mifflin County Historical Society.

Fisher, Forest K., More Mifflin County Then & Now, Mifflin County Historical Society.

Hartzler, John G., The Ol' Hook & Eye.

Lynch Jr., James J.D., "Lewistown and the Pennsylvania Railroad," The Keystone, the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society, p. 9-41.

Lewistown and the Pennsylvania Railroad - From Moccasins to Steel Wheels, the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society.

Track Guide

The following is a tour of the Milroy Secondary, starting in Lewistown, Pa., and proceeding east to Milroy, Pa., based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.

Click on the link of a location for more information (if available).

LocationNameDist.
from
Lewistown
(Pass.Sta.)1
¶ LN Lewistown, Pa. Junc. Wilkes-Barre Division) ‡ 0.0
Atlantic Refining Co. No. 2 † 0.3
James Goss † 0.4
Supplee-Wills-Jones & Co. No. 1 † 0.4
Bridge over Kishacoquillas Creek  
Standard Oil Co. No. 1 † 0.9
3902 Lewistown, Pa. Bridge over Kishacoquillas Creek  
Spanogle-Yeager Milling Co. † 1.1
Lewistown Transportation Co. † 1.1
H. E. Knepp, Sinclair Refining Co. No. 1 and Independent Oil Co. No. 1 † 1.5
3903  Menzies, Pa.    
3904 Burnham, Pa. J. H. Miller † 2.3
Passing ‡|| 2.3
Station ‡ 2.6
Logan Iron & Steel Co. No. 1 † 2.8
Logan Iron & Steel Co. No. 2 † 3.1
3905 Yeagertown, Pa. Bridge over Kishacoquillas Creek  
Standard Steel Works Co. No. 4 † 3.3
Standard Steel Works Co. No. 3 † 3.3
J. M. Yeager No. 1 † 3.5
J. M. Yeager No. 2 † 3.5
Passing || 3.6
Standard Steel Works Co. No. 6 † 3.7
Standard Steel Works Co. No. 7 † 3.7
3906 Lower Mann, Pa.    
  Bridge over Kishacoquillas Creek  
Mann, Pa.    
3907 Reedsville, Pa. Bridge over Kishacoquillas Creek  
Station ‡ 5.4
Passing ‡|| 5.4
3908 Honey Creek, Pa.    
3909 Shraders, Pa. National Limestone Co.--East End † 9.1
3911 Naginey, Pa. Bethlehem Steel Co. No. 1 † 9.4
Bethlehem Steel Co. No. 2 † 9.6
3912 Milroy, Pa. Public Track and Belleville Flour Mills † 10.9
West Leg "Y" || 11.0
East Leg "Y" || 11.1
Station ‡ 11.1
* No siding.
† For individual use.
‡ Telegraph Office.
|| Siding - No carload delivery.
¶ LN -- Lewistown -- includes all points in Lewistown Yard not otherwise designated.
1The CT1000 clearly has this distance mislabeled. It indicates distance from "Lewistown Passenger Station". However, it is clearly the distrance from the junction with the S&L and the Lewistown Secondary. It is another 1.1 miles to the Lewistown passenger station.