Burnham Photo Album
J. H. Miller
Miller was a sand provider. Narrow gauge "donkey tracks" led up the mountain to the quarry. John Snyder recalls there actually being an electric "lokie" with overhead wire. Paul Fagley recalls there being a "covered bridge" on the donkey tram above a scale just west of the creek.
Below -- Topographic map indicates route of the donkey tracks relative to the plant and the topography. Railroad valuation maps current to 1955 indicate two spurs with a suggestion of a third that was removed. The red highlighting on the valuation map indicates track removed in 1971.
Visible in the 1957 Penn Pilot photo; remnants may be found via Google Maps, including the bridge piers. Below, left to right, 1938, 1957, 1971, and 2014:
November 2014 photos of the heavily remodeled remnants of the facility may be found here.
- How were the two sidings used?
- Were there inbound shipments -- packaging maybe?
- Were the outbounds covered hopper or box cars?
- Anyone have photos?
JM Block Station
JM block station is indicated on the 1919 track chart.
It does not appear in the April 1928 Middle Division employee timetable. The September 1933 Middle Division employee timetable shows a BR block station; November 1936 shows HM; and April 1939 it is referenced as BURN block station.
A photograph of this structure is on page 116 of Lewistown and the Pennsyvania Railroad (PRRT&HS).
Listed in 1923 and 1945 CT1000's.
In the photo at right, the passenger station is in the foreground with the freight station behind.
Passenger service ceased in 1941. At some point the freight station was razed and freight services moved to the passenger depot. The resulting structure was boarded up no later than 1964.
Below: 1910 Sanborn map and 1955 valuation map. The red highlighting on the valuation map indicates track removed in 1971. There are indications of earlier trackage that no longer remained.
1970ish photographs of the passenger station from the collection of Robert Johnson; used with permission.
- When was the freight station closed? It appears to have been razed no later than the 1957 Penn Pilot photo.
- Anyone have photos of the freight station?
Logan Iron & Steel Co. No. 1 & No. 2
Lewistown and the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRRT&HS) documents (p.54) that this entity went bankrupt in May 1946. The property was purchased by the Kovalchick Salvage Company. A portion was developed as a shopping mall and the remainder survives as a salvage yard.
Below: Three images from the 1910 series Sanborn maps.
1905 Track Diagram of Logan Iron & Steel showing proposed mill yard tracks. Courtesy of Susan Yosten.
Post 1905 Track Diagram of Logan Iron & Steel. Courtesy of Susan Yosten.
Undated Track Diagram of Logan Iron & Steel showing proposed changes in trackwork. Courtesy of Susan Yosten.
- When was the southern portion razed? This is where the shopping center was built. It was razed by the 1957 Penn Pilot photo.