Rapido has announced their intent to produce the Alco FA2 in HO scale, with delivery in the summer of 2016. Excerpts from their announcement:
As more and more museum-quality locomotives are released by a number of fine manufacturers, those models we thought were "top notch" back when George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton were president no longer make the cut. While it can be argued that EMD's F-unit has been properly addressed in HO scale, our options for the iconic Alco FA-2 are very limited: one model approaching its 25th birthday and another model that is "train set" quality.
Well, not any more.
The FA-2 was Alco's response to the ubiquitous EMD F7 that was swiftly becoming the locomotive of choice for many freight and passenger railroads. Delivered between October 1950 (Erie 736A) and June 1956 (L&N 211), a total of 283 FA-2 and FPA-2 locomotives were built by Alco in Schenectady, New York for 12 different American railroads. Each 1600-HP locomotive had a 12-cylinder Alco 244 prime mover. These proved unreliable, which accounts for why these locomotives rarely lasted past 1970.
When it comes to FA-2 locomotives, one size definitely does not fit all. There were substantial variations from railroad to railroad, and we're covering all of the major ones. Rapido is the first company ever to offer in ready-to-run form:
- Vertical battery box louvers
- Farr bodyside grilles
- Prototype-specific details
- Underbody piping and conduit
- FA-2 Trainphone Antenna for PRR
Most importantly, our Alco FA-2 are the ONLY FA-2 models ever produced that are scaled from a 3D scan of the prototype!
Here's a complete rundown of the Alco FA-2 product features:
- HO Scale DC or DC/DCC/SOUND
- 5-pole, skew-wound motor with excellent slow-speed performance
- Operating number boards, headlights and two-color class lights (white/green)
- Roadname-specific details
- Dynamic brakes
- Etched-metal grilles (Farr or chicken wire, as appropriate)
- Full underbody piping and conduit
- Correct, roadnames-specific FA-2 fuel tanks
- Separate grab irons and handrails installed at the factory
- Heavy, die-cast chassis
- Full cab interior
- Accurate ESU LokSound recordings from a real Alco 244 prime mover
- Factory-installed Macdonald-Cartier couplers mounted at the correct height
The MSRP is $225 (DC) and $325 (DC/DCC/Sound). Delivery is expected in summer 2016. The order deadline is Friday, February 12th 2016. You will be able to see and hear the FA-2 in person at the Springfield Show before placing your reservation.
INCLUDES TRAINPHONE ANTENNA
|DC ITEM #
|DC/DCC/SOUND ITEM #