The registration packet for the 2018 annual meeting of the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society will be released shortly. Society president Steve Staffieri gave me a preview...
The event is being held May 9-13 at the Blair County Convention Center in Altoona, Pa.
Vendor Room and Model Room setup and Early Registration will be on WEDNESDAY from 2:00 - 9:00 p.m.
The Vendor Room and Model Room will be open from 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. on THURSDAY and Friday. It will be closed 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. for dinner.
On Saturday the Vendor Room will be open to the public as a "Train Show" with an admission fee of $5 (for the public) from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
There will be model railroad open houses Friday evening and Sunday, including the Altoona Association of Model Railroaders.
Thursday will feature a tour of the Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum and Horseshoe Curve. There will also be an alternative tour for the significant others,
Friday will feature an outing on the Everett Railroad on the former PRR Morrison Cove Branch.
A sampling of the seminars, which commence at 8:00 p.m. Wednesday:
- History of the PRR
- Modeling the H10s that worked the Shamokin Branch
- PRR Boxcars and the things we might not know about them
- Express X29s and other head-end equipment
- TTX history
- PRR WWII operations between Altoona and Pittsburgh
- Modeling the Pennsy in the Monongahela Valley in 1948
- Leased steam on the PRR
- Scratch built NY&LB Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge from Styrene
- Taking the next steps in building resin kits
- T1 Trust Update
- The Panhandle
- Change at Manhattan Transfer
- Wreck of the Red Arrow
- The 1877 Railroad Riots in Pittsburgh
- Modeling the PRR Chestnut Hill Branch - Evoking the Philadelphia Landscape
- Panel of George Huemrich, Bill Volkmer, and Bob Watson sharing their experience as PRR employees
There will be three tracks of seminars. The banquet speaker will be Bennett Levin.
Looking to be a really good event. Hope to see you there!