LN
Lewistown

The LN destination is split between the Lewistown Secondary (including Furnace Branch Siding) and the Milroy Secondary.

Milepost (MP) references are taken from the 1945 CT1000 and are distances from Lewistown passenger station.

Where street addresses are indicated, the years in parenthesis indicate first and last years confirmed in street directories. Entites could have been at the address before and after these dates.

The photos below are from the 1936 "Saint Patrick's Day Flood" and show many of the industries discussed later on this page:
flood1 tflood2 t

Lewistown Secondary Portion

Lewistown LN Photo Gallery

Juniata River Bridge

 juniata bridge t juniata bridge t juniata bridge t juniata bridge t juniata bridge t

This image shows the telephone pole detail:
juniata bridge pole detail

Just upstream was the highway bridge. The current bridge was opened in 1989:
1989 highway

At the end of the highway bridge is this iconic building:
iconic home

Logan Flour Mill 1894 t

Logan Mills

Shown as Elder & Eckbert Flour Mill on 1910 Sanborn map.

Listed as Logan Mills in the 1923 CT1000.

Only the coal trestle is shown on the 1928 Sanborn map. However, there are "tape marks" suggesting a 1947 update is missing.

Not listed in 1945 CT1000.

A 1957 aerial image shows Juniata Street running through the siding's right-of-way, joining with Water Street. A gas station is present in the northeast corner. A gas station is there at present, with the same footprint as that in the 1957 image.

 1928 juniata water t

There are a number of "landmarks" along the right-of-way that are worthy of mention...

Riverside Wholesale

Opposite the town end of the railroad bridge there is a warehouse building that was a beer distributor, built by Pete Marinos. In more recent years it has been home to Stringer's Antiques. (Info from Stringer's Antiques via FaceBook.)

Lewistown Hotel

The Lewistown Hotel was a fixture on Water Street. It was built in 1937, along with a parking garage across the street. Both buildings remained in 2016.

lewistown hotel 1937 t
The Lewistown Hotel in 1937

1928 garage hotel t

St. Marks Episcopal Church

1928 st marks church t

st marks church t

Aerial view of Lewistown circa 1950-51:lewistown 1950 t

Franciscus Co. -- MP 1.0

Photos needed!

Shown as F. G. Franciscus Lumber & Coal Yard on 1910 Sanborn map (below left). Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (below right).

Listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

Sanborn maps and aerial photos do not indicate a trestle or below-grade bins along side the coal storage bins. Response from the PRR-FAX lists suggests that early coal deliveries were via gondola and were unloaded by hand.

Dan Cupper recollects that his mother worked at Franciscus Co., and that they got out of the coal business in the 1940s to focus on their hardware business. This seems to be supported by the later Sanborn map. Brandt and Hoffman were the predominant coal dealers in the area.

1928 franciscus t

mann edge factory t

Mann Edge Tool Co. -- MP 1.1

Photos needed!

40 South Dorcas Street (1949-70)

The Mann Edge Tool Co. manufactured the "legendary" Mann axes, commonly used by fire departments. They were located in Mann's Narrows, several miles north of Lewistown until they moved into town circa 1891-1896 (see below).

The 1891 Sanborn does not show the facility at the downtown location; it is occupied by H. B. Greybill & Son, which operated a mill with a completely different footprint.

The 1896 and 1904 Sanborn maps show the Mann's Narrows location still in use.  Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map.

Shown in the downtown location on the 1896, 1904, and 1910 Sanborn maps.

Listed in the 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

1928 mann edge t

Mann Axe t

The Mann structure caught fire in 1998 and was razed circa 2010. A residence designated as an office survived until circa 2013:Mann fire2 Mann fire2

The Mann Axe Factory in 1968:mann 1968 t

Freight Station -- MP 1.1

25 South Dorcas Street (1943-52; 1970 shown as Nu Holland Sperry-Rand Corp.)

Sanborn maps prior to 1904 show this location as part of the Franciscus Company. The 1904 Sanborn is the first to show a freight station at this location. It appears to be the right footprint, but slightly out of position. However, the indication of the building is hashed, possibly indicating it is under construction(?).

Shown on the 1910 Sanborn map. The 1910 Sanborn map also shows a stock yard behind the station. There was also a team track paralleling a street. The 1910 Sanborn map indicates the following businesses on the street -- a fruit wholesaler and Child's, Green & Child's (grocery wholesaler).

Listed in the PRR 1923 and 1945 CT1000's. 

Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map. The 1928 Sanborn map shows the stock yard and indicates Harrisburg Auto Parts Co. replacing Child's, Green & Child's. Dan Cupper and Robert Johnson indicate the stock yard was gone by the 1950s. Bob Johnson indicates that rolls of newsprint were unloaded on the alley from Canadian National box cars for the nearby Lewistown Sentinel (1-13 South Dorcas Street).

Freight Station t

Photos taken by Robert Johnson in June 1970. Used with permission. Click for larger view.

Undated photo after closure:
freight after close

On the north side of the right-of-way, between Dorcas Street and Depot Street, there were a number of entities that lacked private sidings but used the team tracks behind the freight station.

1928 freight station t P1010532

Wholesale Paper Warehouse

Photos and anecdotal information desired.

Grocery Warehouse

Photos and anecdotal information desired.

1928 freight station2 t

Warehouse (Beer)

Photos and anecdotal information desired.

Beer Warehouse

Photos and anecdotal information desired.

Feed Warehouse

1928 harrisburg autoparts t

Motor Freight Sta.

Photos and anecdotal information desired.

Harrisburg Autoparts

10 Depot Street (1949-70)

The 1910 Sanborn map shows this as Childs, Green & Childs, a grocery wholesaler. The 1928 Sanborm map, with 1947 corrections, shows it as Harrisburg Autoparts.

The paint on the side of the building today reads McMillin Auto Parts. Mike Shawver on a Lewistown FaceBook group indicated that McMillin was post-Harrisburg Auto Parts.

childs green childs tmcmillin autoparts tmcmillan left mcmillan right

Chestnut Street Station

Chestnut Street Station t chestnut street station t

Need to determine what year the station was razed.

Listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Not listed in the 1945 CT1000 (passenger service ceased in 1941).

Not present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

Plans courtesy of Susan Yoesten:

North American Tanery

The North American Tanery was on the northeast corner of Chestnut and Shaw, roughly where the S&L branch connected, and was a massive industrial structure. A photograph of this structure is on page 106 of Lewistown and the Pennsyvania Railroad (PRRT&HS). It is identified as the North American Tannery and it burned to the ground in 1950. It is also shown on the map on pages 6-7 of the same book.

Ellis' History of Mifflin County cites "The North American Tannery had its inception in 1866, when Jacob Spanogle, Andrew J. and Andrew Spanogle, under the firm-name of Jacob Spanogle & Co., purchased thirteen acres of land of James Burns, on the limits of Lewistown borough, and in Derry township. Upon this tract they erected a brick tannery, two hundred and thirty-one feet by forty-five, with an L one hundred and ninety-five feet by thirty-five, with slate roof, and filled with two hundred and ten tanning-vats, twenty-eight leaches and six limes and soaks and seven pools, having a capacity of tanning twelve thousand hides per annum. The firm continued until 1876, when it was changed to Spanogle & Panebaker, and was operated by them until 1880, when the property was bought by William M. Panebaker, who continued until the spring of 1884, when D. P. Lease and T. E. McVitty, of Philadelphia, became associated with him, and the business, from that time, has been conducted under the name of W. M. Panebaker & Co."

The PRR 1900 CT1000 shows the North American Tanery (see below left). The 1923 CT1000 shows Belmont Motors Corp. at this location, but with a modified footprint. There is no listing in the 1945 CT1000.

The 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, shows the Montgomery Automobile Company, with an overlay that suggests multiple tenants, with no rail service (see below right).

1928 tannery bldg t

MY Block Station

MY block station, at the junction of the Lewistown Secondary and Milroy Secondary, was closed in late April, 1931.

Furnace Branch Siding

1928 brandt tM.W. Brandt -- MP 1.4

Need photos.

108 Chestnut Street (1949-70)

Very large coal and building supplies dealer. Originally located a few blocks west where The Hoffman Company is located in the 1950s. Moved sometime between 1910 and 1923 (see below).

Shown as Lewistown Planing Mill Co. on 1910 Sanborn map.

Listed as Thompson Bros., M. W. Brandt in the 1923 CT1000.

Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

Dan Cupper recollects that there were below-grade bins for coal receipt that were covered with steel panels when not in use.

On the south side of the right-of-way, opposite the Chestnut Street passenger station, there were a number of entities that lacked private sidings but may have used the Furnace Branch Siding as a team track.

1928 Sanborn map with 1947 corrections:1928 opposite side station t

2016 aerial image:
2016 southside buildings

Thompson Knitting Mill tMontgomery Ward

The 1910 Sanborn map shows this as the Lewistown Knitting Co. The 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1947, shows this as Montgomery Ward (see above).

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. The building no longer remains.

Witman-Schwartz Co.

100 Chestnut Street - Lewistown Frozen Food Service (1943-70)
80 Chestnut Street - Lewistown Wholesale Grocery Company (1949-54; no listing 1970)
70 Chestnut Street - Weis Whole Food Stores (1952-54; vacant 1970)

The 1910 Sanborn map shows this location as the Witman-Schwartz Company, a wholesale grocer, next to an empty lot. The 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (see above) shows this structure as a wholesale grocer and it has expanded, consuming half of the open lot to the east.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. This building remained in 2016.

2016 images:
grocery warehouse t
 grocery warehouse3 t grocery warehouse2 t grocery warehouse4 t grocery warehouse side t

Former Electric Generating Plant

The 1910 Sanborn map shows this structure as a former electric generating plant, as vacant. The building remains in the 1928 Sanborn map, shown as a warehouse.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. By 2016, it had long-since been replaced by another building.

The Hoffman Company

The 1910 Sanborn shows this location as an empty lot. The 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (see above), shows a structure labeled "building materials warehouse".

The structure remains in 2016 and still shows itself as part of The Hoffman Company.

The Hoffman Company -- MP 1.5

Need photos.

12 Depot Street (1943-70)

Listed in the 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown as M. W. Brandt on 1910 Sanborn map (right). Brandt moved a few blocks east sometime between 1910 and 1923 (see above). Dealer of coal and lumber. Coal trestle facing freight station. Shown as Hoffman Company on 1928 Sanborn map (see below). It appears that when the Penn Edison siding was removed next door, The Hoffman Company redesigned their one building and created a second siding into their area. 

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. In the 2016 aerial image, below, the structure along the bottom appears to be part of the original structure.

1928 hoffman co penn edison t 1928 hoffman supply t

2016 hoffman

hoffman1 hoffman1

Texas Co. -- MP 1.5 

Need photos.

Listed as H. & H. Supply Co. No. 1 in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000 as M. H. Wiker No. 1. This track is on the north side, facing the freight station.

Shown as H.C. Jackson Supply Co. on 1910 Sanborn map. Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, as the Texas Company, a bulk oil dealer.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. Not existing as of 2016.

1928 texas co east penn gas t

Jackson Wharf t

East Penn Gas Co. -- MP 1.5 

Need photos.

Listed as H. & H. Supply Co. No. 2 in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000 as M. H. Wiker No. 2 and Atlantic States Gas Co. This track would be a trestle on the back side.

Shown as H. C. Jackson Supply Co. on 1910 Sanborn map, as a dealer of coal, wood and feed. Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, as East Penn Gas Company, dealing in liquid gas.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. Not existing as of 2016.

1928 texas co east penn gas t

Penn Central Light and Power Co. No. 4

Listed in the 1923 CT1000. Not listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown on the 1910 Sanborn map. A boiler house and coal trestle are indicated. Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map and indicated in use as a service building and store house.

Kishacoquillas Creek Bridge

kish bridge furnace

J. Krentzman -- MP 1.8

Need photos and anecdotal information.

Rear 129 South Main Street (1970)

Paul Fegley recalls that Joseph Krentzman & Sons was a scrap business in Lewistown, forced to move after the 1972 Agnes flood. At one time they absorbed the Juniata Iron & Steel Co. (below).

John Snyder also relates that Krentzman was a junk dealer.

Not listed in the 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Sun Oil Co. No. 1 -- MP 1.8

Need photos and anecdotal information.

Not listed in the 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

1928 sun oil co t

Lewistown Ice & Storage Co. No. 1 and Juniata Iron & Steel Co. -- MP 1.8

Listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown as Heverly Mfg., Storage & Supply Co. on 1910 Sanborn map. Storage structure is indicated. Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (see below).

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

The neighboring Lewistown Dry Cleaning & Laundry may have received coal on this siding.

The son of the owner, Bill Riddleberger (FaceBook contact), bagged ice as a youth. He wrote "All ice was taken to places  by trucks. They had a lot of square footage for apple storage. Then in main section. Good distribution center for food to area restaurant. I know the plant was there in the 30s but do not know when constructed. The  rails were used by the junk yard behind the ice plant.  Rails only used about twice a week."

1928 lewistown dry cleaning lewistown ice storage t

Lewistown Ice & Storage Co. No. 2 -- MP 1.8

133-35 South Main Street (1970)

Listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown as Heverly Co. on 1910 Sanborn map. Storage house, coal shed, and ice manufacturing is indicated. Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections (see below).

1928 lewistown dry cleaning lewistown ice storage t

heverly co t
IMG 1946

1928 juniata valley gas oil tJuniata Gas & Oil Co. -- MP 2.0

Need photos and anecdotal information.

Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown on early Sanborn maps as "hide storage".

Appears on the 1928 Sanborn, with 1947 corrections, as Juniata Valley Gas & Oil.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo and remained in 2016 as APR Supply (see aerial image below).

2016 images:
lubricating oils warehouse3 t
lubricating oils warehouse t

2016 juniata gas

Lewis Sitkin -- MP 2.1

Need photos and anecdotal information.

Located halfway between Juniata Gas & Oil and Penna. Edison Co.

Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Paul Fegley indicates this was a junk dealer and metal scrapper. He provided a 1957 newspaper ad that indicated they were at the "West end of Charles Street".

David Goehring recalls Sitkin's operation was still active in 1963-64 when he was working in Lewistown.

A 1995 document by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportion -- regarding Route 22 improvements -- provides the following citation... "Located near the gas plant, the Sitkin/Penn Electric/Penn Fuel Gas sites disposed shredded rubber on site."

Penna. Edison Co. No. 1 -- MP 2.2

Need photos and anecdotal information.

Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections. Although the Sanborn map does not indicate so, this entity did have a dedicated siding which is visible in the 1938 and 1957 Penn Pilot aerial images.

A 1995 document by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportion -- regarding Route 22 improvements -- provides the following citation... "Processing tanks remain on site at the Lewistown Gas Plant, a former coal tar plant."

The building remains in 2016. See aerial image below.

1928 penn ed gas t

2016 pa edison

American Gas Co. -- MP 2.2

Not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000, indicating same location as Penna Edison Co. (above).

overhead door co t

Overhead Door Co. -- MP 2.3

Need photos and anecdotal information.

566 South Juniata Street (1970)

Manufacturer of garage doors.

Not listed in the 1923 CT1000. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

The Overhead Door Co. appears on the 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections.

The building remains in 2016 (aerial photo below).

1928 overhead door co t

2016 overhead door

Susquehanna Silk Co. -- MP 2.3

The PRR 1923 CT1000 lists it as Lewistown Board of Trade--Susquehanna Silk Mill. Listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Shown as Susquehanna Silk Mill on the 1910 Sanborn map. The 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, indicates "Various Manufacturers and Storage Occupancies". 

Based on the image below from a marketing brochure, one of the tenants must have been the Cluett, Peabody & Co. John Snyder relates that they manufactured Arrow shirts (104 E. Fleming Street - 1970). David Goehring recalls Arrow's operation was very active in 1963-64 when he was working in Lewistown.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo and remains today. A 2016 aerial photo is included below.

1928 silk mill tcluett peabody co t

2016 silk

Milroy Secondary Portion

Manino's Banana Warehouse

Need photos and anecdotal information.

The 1928 Sanborn map, with 1947 corrections, show this structure as a Motor Freight Station. The locals, Dan Cupper and Robert Johnson, recall it being a produce warehouse (Manino's Banana Warehouse) in the 1950's and served by reefers.

It must have been built after the tannery fire, remains today as an under 21 club (2016 aerial image below).

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. Part of the tannery building is still present behind Manino's.

Based on telephone directories, the banana business was moved elsewhere prior to 1970.

1928 city highway dept t

2016 highway dept

B. F. Gregory

111 Chestnut Street - Lewistown Street Department (1952-70)

The 1910 Sanborn map show B. F. Gregory as a coal yard, occupying the "Y" between the Milroy Secondary and the S&L (see below left). The 1928 Sanborn map, corrected to 1947, shows the building as City Highway Department (see below right).

It is listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000 but not in the 1945 CT1000.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. Remains today as a Highway Department site (2016 aerial image below).

1928 city highway dept t

2016 highway dept

Atlantic Refining Co. No. 2

Need photos.

The Atlantic Refining Co. was an oil dealer and is shown on the 1910 Sanborn map.

It is listed in the 1923 CT1000 as Atlantic Refining Co. No. 16. It is listed in the 1945 CT1000.

Not present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo.

1928 goss coal yard tJames Goss

Need photos.

This entity was a coal yard.

It appears as J. C. Prettyleaf on the 1910 Sanborn map.

It is listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000 as J. C. Prettyleaf. It is listed in the 1945 CT1000 as James Goss.

Possibly present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. The photo lacks detail, but something is here. Unknown if still active.

Supplee-Wills-Jones & Co. No. 1

Need photos.

A creamery, the building remains today as E. R. Rhodes & Son, an oil products distributor.

It is not shown on the 1910 Sanborn map.

It is not listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. It is listed in the 1945 CT1000.

John Snyder indicated that the KV worked this creamery with milk from the valley.

Present in 1957 Penn Pilot aerial photo. A 2016 aerial photo is included below.

1928 supplee t

2016 supplee

Walnut Street Station

Need photo.

The station is listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000. The station is not listed in the 1945 CT1000 (passenger service ceased in 1941).

Kishacoquillas Creek Bridge

kish bridge milroy

1928 standard oil t

Standard Oil Co. No. 1

Need photo.

Listed in the PRR 1923 CT1000 as Butler Oil Sales Co. Listed in the 1945 CT1000 as Standard Oil Co.

A 2016 aerial view is included below.

2016 standard oil