The Milroy Secondary began life as the Mifflin and Centre County Railroad (M&CC), incorporated on April 2, 1860. The Pennsylvania Railroad assisted in the construction of the first seven miles of the line, to Reedsville, which was completed by May 1, 1865. The M&CC then initiated a 999 year lease with the PRR to operate the line. By January 6, 1868, the line reached Milroy.
In 1896, the M&CC merged with the nearby Sunbury & Lewistown Railway Company. The PRR executed a new 79 year operating lease on October 1, 1896. Several minor reorgs occured, culminating in the line being merged into the Pennsylvania Railroad as of April 1, 1902.
Having spent most of its life operating as part of the PRR's Lewistown Division, the newly absorbed line was detached for operating purposes from the Pennsylvania Railroad Grand Division and became part of the Philadelphia and Erie Grand Division.
No later than 1911, the line was part of the Sunbury Division. Sometime before September 25, 1927, the line was transferred to the Middle Division.
The Kishacoquillas Valley R. R. operated passenger trains over the branch under an operating agreement through 1941. When passenger traffic was discontinued, the branch was redesignated a secondary, which changed the rules under which it operated.
The author will happily accept donations to this site -- images (jpg or gif), documents (pdf), etc. -- or loan of originals for scanning. Full credit will be given to the donor.
This site will only link to professional web sites dedicated to the subject matter, with an appropriate domain name. We will not link to "hosted sites" (like personal sites on ISP's) as they tend to be "here today and gone tomorrow". We would encourage any such site operator to contribute their content to this effort with full attribution.
Track Chart: Central Division, Sunbury Division: Selinsgrove to Lewistown, Milroy Branch, 1919
Please reference photo links within each section of the line (below).
Fagley, Paul T., Memories of Kishocoquillas Park, Mifflin County Historical Society.
Fisher, Forest K., Images of America - Mifflin County, Arcadia Publishing.
Fisher, Forest K., Mifflin County Then & Now, Mifflin County Historical Society.
Fisher, Forest K., More Mifflin County Then & Now, Mifflin County Historical Society.
Hartzler, John G., The Ol' Hook & Eye.
Lynch Jr., James J.D., "Lewistown and the Pennsylvania Railroad," The Keystone, the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society, p. 9-41.
Lewistown and the Pennsylvania Railroad - From Moccasins to Steel Wheels, the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society.
The following is a tour of the Milroy Secondary, starting in Lewistown, Pa., and proceeding east to Milroy, Pa., based on the 1945 edition of the Pennsylvania Railroad CT1000 -- List of Stations and Sidings.
Click on the link of a location for more information (if available).